Sunday, May 28, 2006
Majestia XXI was GREAT!! Its the best concert I've ever played in and enjoyed every song v much though i was nervous at times. The whole atmosphere was really good and applause that the audiences gave were really warm. I nvr felt so happy on stage before. At the end of the concert i could really feel a great sense of acheivement esp when Mr. Tan came up and talk abt the band and acknowledge the contributions of the Year Twos and what he had acheived with us after joining us for just 8 months I was really v touched by wat he said. I think Mr. Tan is really a very gd conductor and i think VJCSB will really soar to much greater heights with him. Afterwards we played our encore Bahn Frei and i think we played our hearts out and the audience really enjoyed it. The Victorian Anthem that followed was played with pride. I could see danny singing it proudly when he was conducting then it was followed by the sch cheer. Special thanks to all those that came down and support me and bought flowers or gifts! I really appreciate it!
In Mr. Tan's speech he talks abt the mixed feelings when he woke up in the morning. I nvr really go and think abt what will happen and how i will feel after this concert. This concert is what I have been looking forwand to after the Hawaii Trip and it is the last sch concert I will play in as a member (unless i join a university band but i guess the atmosphere is quite diff). I will definately miss playing in the VJ band very much. There's a lot of great memories that i have of the band. NSSN '04 SYF '05 NSSN '05 and most significantly the Hawaii trip where we played our hearts out for the Gold award and lastly Majestia XXI. There are a lot of other memories as well like the frequent band dinner, band outings, urban hike, jts(aka dinner and dance), food hunt etc etc. Band, i have to say is a very significant part of my VJ life and i think most of my memories of my JC life will be abt band.
Majestia XXI is also significant b cos it is sort of the end of my sch band life and this is my 10th year i'm in band and its the 1st concert that my parents came to support me and my primary sch frens who were the ones i started playing my instrument with also came to support me.
I think band have always been a v significant part of my life since primary sch and my closest friends are from band as well. I still vaguely rmb the day i step into the band room in my p sch when i was p3 then we like have to try a few instruments or sth liddat then finally i was assigned to play euphonium. Then at the end of p3 i cracked my left elbow bone due to my carelessness when roller blading. Then i didnt go for band for quite a few months and when i return i could not play anything at all then i was assigned to percussion to play for SYF '98. I rmb the comp piece was Trails of Glory by James Swearingen. We got silver and missed gold by 3 marks cos we were heavily penalised for the movements while playing the piece. I rmbed crying when i got home. After the comp i was assigned to bass section cos the basses in the main band were all p6s so no senior in the band and i used to play the eupho and i'm big size as well. Then we went overseas to Bangkok around december that time if i nvr rmb wrongly. Then the next significant event was SYF '00 we played new century march and memories of stephen foster and got silver. The band life in RVPS band was fun and the conductor will like always joke around and sometimes bring us out for outings and stuff. The training was quite tough though cos like if i cant play i have to do star jumps and i rmb once i did star jumps till my thighs ached till i cant walk properly. I think that is probably the reason why the band is quite small like 20 main band players when i graduated and for SYF that day the band have to ask like 10+ recruit band players to fake playing for the compeitition so that we have enough numbers to meet the min criteria. I still can rmb going early for band to play soccer, badminton etc and a group of us going to the 7-11 nearby after every sat practise to eat instant noodles or pizza.
VSCB also gives me lots of good memories. I can still rmb the small but cosy band room that we have in the old campus how all the band member's leg will automatically bring us to the band room after sch everyday. The bandroom is like a place which we can do lots of things like practise, play games, talk cock or meet to play soccer or basketball. The band room is like our 2nd home. The band culture is very diff from my p sch. We have to greet our seniors as 'sir' and have to do push-ups for punishment and there is a band heirachy and there is sort of a clear line between juniors and seniors which sort of help each batch bond together as one but on the other hand lessen the bond bet seniors and juniors as seniors r unlikely to talk to juniors and juniors dare not talk to seniors. Memories in VSCB will include all the band camps esp those which my batch organise, SYF'03, Musical World XIX and XX and the most memorable thing would be the Brisbane Trip in '04.
After saying so much abt band, it is quite hard for me to imagine my life without band in vj without the band practises and band dinner etc in fact i miss having band practises already must be the post-Majestia blues which is somehow like the post-Hawaii blues. So sorry for those that have read till this far i think i may have bored the hell out of u all but i just wanna write this entry for my own memory. Anyway i dun think many ppl visit my blog le since i dun update v often. Ok my neck hurts from blogging using a laptop on my bed le. Cya soon... hmm maybe not so soon la
black and white.
12:06 am